The Platform was founded entirely based on self- initiative for the purpose of easier organisation, networking and coordination of activities with the aim of influencing disaster risk reduction and forming a functional system for protection and rescue in the Republic of Croatia, increasing possibilities to build own capacities as a response to catastrophic events and a more suitable application model for European Union, United Nations and other grants.
UNDP Croatia has rated the Platform initiative for self- organization as extremely significant and useful for the strength of local and regional self- government units in responding to natural and non- natural disasters.
The Platform aims a few key activities, among which is offering help and support to counties and cities with the development of project proposals focusing on prevention and disaster risk reduction on their territory and enabling their easier recognition and financial support of the European Union and the United Nations.
The Platform has got regular and supporting members. Regular members are counties and county capitals, whereas supporting members are other local self- government units in the Republic of Croatia, private and public sectors, international organisations and non- governmental organisations.
The Platform has got managing bodies as follows: a president, a vice president, a secretary, an executive and a supervisory committee.
GOALS AND PRIORITIES
The Croatian Counties/Cities Disaster Risk Reduction Platform
The goals of the platform are connecting, coordinating, empowering and joint activities of the members in order to facilitate cooperation, exchanging experiences and ideas, joint projects and activities, as well as providing mutual support and practical help in the catastrophe risk prevention and reduction and response to catastrophes.
The scope of activities of the Platform in accordance with its goals are protection and rescue, international cooperation, education, science and research.
The following are the activities to achieve the goals of the Platform:
– participating in building and improving the capacities of counties and towns as responses to large-scale disasters, catastrophes and other extraordinary situations, improving management systems in extraordinary conditions,
– mutual connecting by improving practises and solving mutual issues on local and regional levels in order to improve the safety of the population,
– developing project proposals in the area of prevention and preparedness to react in catastrophes and developing programmes and projects for international cooperation with related organisations in the Republic of Croatia and abroad,
– fostering transnational cooperation and exchanging good practices of networking local and regional units in the risk prevention and management,
– promoting solidarity and mutual help,
– reinforcing the roles and importance of counties and cities in developing integrated protection and rescue systems in the Republic of Croatia,
– forming opinions for developing protection and rescue legislation,
– cooperating with scientific and educational institutions, economic and non-governmental organisations in the Republic of Croatia and with international organisations concerning project proposals,
– cooperating with the Croatian Disaster Risk Reduction Platform, the National Protection and Rescue Directorate and other bodies of public government,
– organising counselling, seminars, public discussions/forums and other types of meetings on prevention and response to large-scale disasters and catastrophes,
– providing help with organising meetings, topical and educational sessions, seminars and conferences
– communicating with the public,
– organising activities to facilitate the achievement of goals of the Platform in accordance with the provisions of the Republic of Croatia and the European Union.
Local and regional self- government units
Pursuant to Articles 16, 17 and 19 of the Act on Civil Protection System (Official Gazette 82/17) local and regional self- government units shall perform the following tasks:
They shall organise tasks within their self-governing scope of activities related to planning, development, efficient functioning and financing of the civil protection system.
They shall strengthen and compliment the preparedness of existing operative forces of the civil protection system on their territory in accordance with the estimate of risk from large- scale disasters and the civil protection’s plan of action. If the existing operative forces are not sufficient to deal with the consequences determined by the risk estimate, they shall form additional civil protection units.
In case of the need for alertness and reaction upon large- scale disasters and catastrophes they shall organise the participation of volunteers with the purpose of implementing specific measures and actions of the civil protection system and in accordance with this Law and special provisions.
In case of a large- scale disaster the civil protection management team of the local and regional self- government shall organize volunteers with the purpose of implementing specific measures and actions of the civil protection system and in accordance with this Law and special provisions.
The representative body, upon the proposal of the executive committee of the local and regional self- government unit, performs the following activities:
– in the process of passing the budget it views and adopts the annual condition analysis and the annual civil protection system development plan with its financial effects for a three year period as well as guidelines for the organisation and development of the system, which are viewed and adopted every four years
-makes decisions about appointing legal persons of interest to the civil protection system
– ensures financial means for enforcement of decisions concerning financing activities of civil protection in large- scale disasters and catastrophes according to principles of solidarity
Exception to Paragraph 1 of this Article, local self- government units which do not have enunciated risks and pursuant to their size and other criteria regulated by the provisions of the ordinance from Article 49, Paragraph 2 of this Law, are not obliged to issue and pass an estimate of risk from large- scale disasters.
The executive committee of the local self- government unit performs the following activities:
– adopts the civil protection activities plan
– adopts the civil protection training plan
– prepares and forwards the proposal of a decision about determining legal persons of interest to the civil protection system and the proposal of a decision about forming civil protection units to the representative body
– while passing the annual plan of procurement it includes material assets and equipment for the civil protection forces
-issues a decision from its self-governing scope in order to ensure material, financial and other requirements for financing and equipping the operative forces of the civil protection system
– it is responsible for forming, developing and financing, equipping and training of the operative forces in accordance with adopted guidelines and the civil protection system development plan
-issues and forwards the proposal of risk estimate from large- scale disasters to the representative body and regularly updates the risk estimate as well as the civil protection plan of action
-ensures conditions for relocation, sheltering, evacuation and accommodation as well as ensuring to perform duties while implementing other measures of civil protection at protecting and saving citizens, material and cultural goods and environment
-ensures conditions for allocation of members into units and allocates civil protection duty delegates as well as keeps record of allocated members
-ensures conditions for maintaining and updating the database with information about members, abilities and resources of the operative forces of the civil protection system
– keeps record of casualties in large- scale disasters and catastrophes
The executive committee of the local and regional self- government unit coordinates the activities of the operative forces of the civil protection system, formed for the territory of the unit in large- scale disasters and catastrophes, with the professional support of the competent civil protection management team.
The executive committee of the regional self- government unit, besides duties stated in Paragraph 3 of this Article, adopts an external protection and rescue plan in case of accidents which involve dangerous goods within a year from receiving the State Administration decision about the obligation to issue an external plan for an establishment or industrial park.
Municipal prefect, mayor and county prefect shall habilitate for practising civil protection duties within six months from assuming offices, by qualifying the State Administration programme to practice such duties.
Local self- government units assemble units and allocate civil protection delegates and vice delegates, whereas regional self- government units assemble civil protection units, in accordance with provisions of the ordinance passed by the Head of the State Administration.
The local and regional self- government unit, the founder of civil protection units, calls civil protection conscripts in order to mobilise, determine their duties and coordinate the data in the civil protection system, borrow personal equipment, set inspection and direct them to training and qualification.
The local and regional self- government unit shall ensure conditions for the qualification of allocated conscripts of the civil protection forces (members of the civil protection units, civil protection delegates and their substitutes) in accordance with the provisions of this Law.